Packaging Corporation Of America (PKG) Reaches New Lifetime High Today
Editor's Note: Any reference to TheStreet Ratings and its underlying recommendation does not reflect the opinion of TheStreet, Inc. or any of its contributors including Jim Cramer or Stephanie Link.Trade-Ideas LLC identified Packaging Corporation of America (PKG) as a new lifetime high candidate. In addition to specific proprietary factors, Trade-Ideas identified Packaging Corporation of America as such a stock due to the following factors:
- PKG has an average dollar-volume (as measured by average daily share volume multiplied by share price) of $60.3 million.
- PKG has traded 25,503 shares today.
- PKG is trading at a new lifetime high.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Get the inside scoop on opportunities in PKG with the Ticky from Trade-Ideas. See the FREE profile for PKG NOW at Trade-IdeasMore details on PKG: Packaging Corporation of America engages in the manufacture and sale of containerboard and corrugated packaging products for industrial and consumer markets in the United States. The stock currently has a dividend yield of 2.2%. PKG has a PE ratio of 16.3. Currently there are 4 analysts that rate Packaging Corporation of America a buy, 1 analyst rates it a sell, and 5 rate it a hold.The average volume for Packaging Corporation of America has been 951,700 shares per day over the past 30 days. Packaging Corporation of America has a market cap of $7.2 billion and is part of the consumer goods sector and consumer non-durables industry. The stock has a beta of 1.20 and a short float of 2.9% with 3.03 days to cover. Shares are up 15.1% year-to-date as of the close of trading on Tuesday.STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.TheStreetRatings.com Analysis:TheStreet Quant Ratings rates Packaging Corporation of America as a buy. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth and compelling growth in net income. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows low profit margins.Highlights from the ratings report include:
- PKG's very impressive revenue growth greatly exceeded the industry average of 5.9%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues leaped by 71.7%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 269.84% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 72.91% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA reported significant earnings per share improvement in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA increased its bottom line by earning $4.47 versus $1.68 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($4.65 versus $4.47).
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Containers & Packaging industry. The net income increased by 271.9% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $61.03 million to $227.00 million.
- The gross profit margin for PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA is currently lower than what is desirable, coming in at 27.77%. It has decreased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the weak results of the gross profit margin, the net profit margin of 17.95% has significantly outperformed against the industry average.
- You can view the full Packaging Corporation of America Ratings Report.
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV