KANSAS CITY, Mo., March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- H&R Block (NYSE: HRB) recently introduced the "How Big is a Billion?" contest, a new educational program that asks teachers to turn the idea of $1 billion into a math assignment for a chance to win a $3,000 grant. H&R Block is awarding a $50 gift card to the first 50 qualified entries.
Now through March 14, teachers are invited to submit real-life examples that illustrate the concept of $1 billion. For example, $1 billion is enough to fill 2,983 bathtubs or purchase $300 of classroom supplies for every public school teacher in the U.S.
"We were inspired by the response from educators to a piece in our Get Your Billion Back campaign, which equates $1 billion to $500 on every seat, in every professional football stadium in America," said Kathy Collins, chief marketing officer at H&R Block. "As a tax preparation company, we understand the importance of numbers and math. We designed the How Big is a Billion contest help teachers and educators prove math can be fun."
To participate, teachers must submit a brief explanation and image of the creative concepts. To access the application, "like" the H&R Block Dollars & Sense Facebook page. Prizes of $3,000, $2,000 and $1,000 in classroom grants will be awarded to submissions following grade tiers: grades 4-6, 7-9 and 10-12.Entries will be evaluated on accuracy and creativity. H&R Block has teamed up with WeAreTeachers, an online resource for lesson plans, professional development resources, grants and contests for teachers, to select the finalists and help encourage participation. H&R Block will select the grand prize winners. The contest is open to teachers and educators and each participant can submit up to eight entries. Participants must be 18 years or older.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV