Joy Global Inc. (NYSE: JOY), a worldwide leader in high-productivity mining solutions, today reported first quarter fiscal 2014 results.
First Quarter Summary
- Bookings $861 million, down 16 percent from a year ago.
- Net sales $839 million, down 27 percent from a year ago.
- Earnings per diluted share $0.48, compared to $1.33 a year ago. Excluding unusual items, earnings per diluted share $0.49, compared to $1.31 a year ago.
- Cash provided by continuing operations $65 million, compared to $92 million a year ago.
- Repurchased 2.3 million shares at a cost of $122 million.
First Quarter Operating Results
"While comparison with the first quarter of fiscal 2013 is difficult, I am pleased with our team's execution against plan in what is expected to be our slowest quarter of the fiscal year," said Ted Doheny, President and Chief Executive Officer. "During the quarter we continued to move forward on our cost reduction programs which will help mitigate the impact from lower volumes during the year. In addition, our continued execution of operational excellence and One Joy Global initiatives will position us well when market demand increases and provides us with the ability to generate improved leverage on future growth opportunities," said Doheny.
|Bookings - (in millions)|
|January 31,||January 25,||%|
|Underground Mining Machinery||$||451.0||$||598.8||(24.7||)%|
|Surface Mining Equipment||433.5||502.9||(13.8||)%|
|Total Bookings by Segment||$||860.5||$||1,024.7||(16.0||)%|
|Total Bookings by Product||$||860.5||$||1,024.7||(16.0||)%|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV