CHICAGO, March 6, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Did you know that, on average, a company loses more than $14,000 for every job that stays vacant for three months or longer? That one in six companies loses $25,000 or more?*
Considering the fact that more than half (54 percent) of employers currently have open positions for which they can't find qualified candidates - and 35 percent of all employers have positions that stay open for 12 weeks or longer 1- those costs can add up quickly and have broader implications for business performance.
CareerBuilder's latest study on the effects of the skills gap on the U.S. labor market was conducted online by Harris Poll from October 17 to November 6, 2013, and included a representative sample of 1,025 employers, 1,524 job seekers and 205 academics nationwide. Click here to view CareerBuilder's full study.
Just how much is the skills gap costing companies? A lot.Sixty percent of employers are concerned about the costs associated with delays in filling open positions, with one in four stating they have experienced losses in revenue as a result. Employers also reported compromised productivity and work quality and a rise in voluntary employee turnover among other consequences:
- Lower morale due to employees shouldering heavier workloads – 41 percent
- Work does not get done – 40 percent
- Delays in delivery times – 34 percent
- Declines in customer service – 30 percent
- Lower quality of work due to employees being overworked – 30 percent
- Employees are less motivated – 29 percent
- Loss in revenue – 25 percent
- Employees making more mistakes, resulting in lower quality of work – 25 percent
- Higher turnover because employees are overworked – 22 percent
- Computer and Mathematical Occupations – 71 percent
- Architecture and Engineering Occupations – 70 percent
- Management Occupations – 66 percent
- Health Care Practitioners and Technical Occupations – 56 percent
- Installation, Maintenance and Repair Occupations – 55 percent
- Legal Occupations – 53 percent
- Business and Financial Operations – 52 percent
- Personal Care and Services Occupations – 50 percent
- Sales and Related Occupations – 47 percent
- Production Occupations – 41 percent
- Randstad - In addition to their Inspiring Experts campaign - which aims to motivate, inform and educate future generations of workers to make career decisions that drive employment in high-demand industries such as STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) - Randstad also coaches university students on choosing career paths, the skills needed and building effective resumes.
- Bosch – In 2011, Bosch established The Bosch Community Fund which supports a variety of STEM and environmental education initiatives in the U.S. Bosch also partners with FIRST Robotics and A World in Motion (AWIM), programs involving more than 500 students annually with the intent to motivate them to pursue engineering, robotics and other technical careers.
- Cisco – Cisco is focused on creating the next generation of talent that will transform the world. Learning@Cisco is removing barriers to education by creating new business models, new platforms, and accelerating talent development to ensure the right expertise, in the right place, at the right time to close the global networking skills talent gap. It has grown certified networking talent for Cisco from 1 million to 2 million people in the last five years. The Cisco Networking Academy helps hundreds of thousands of people annually gain the skills needed to build, design, and maintain computer networks. These programs ensure Cisco, its customers and partners have the talent they need to transform their business through the Internet of Everything.
- MasTec, Inc. – Empowered by the unique skill set and recognizing the leadership potential U.S. service members possess, MasTec Advanced Technologies and MasTec Network Solutions are striving to stay ahead of the telecommunications skills gap by offering best-in-class, in-house Tower Technician, Home Security and Field Service Technician training while introducing extensive advancement and leadership opportunities for veterans through the Warriors 4 Wireless program - further strengthening their commitment to diversity and being an Employer of Choice for all U.S. veterans in America.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV