3 Worst U.S. Cities for Stoners
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Colorado and Washington State recently legalized marijuana for recreational use, and other jurisdictions could soon follow suit. But here's a look at some U.S. cities where stoners are about as welcome as a bad case of Dorito breath.
"In avoiding these cities, [pot smokers] will certainly stand a better chance of having both the ability to purchase their drug of choice and to smoke it freely -- or at least without the threat of lengthy jail sentences," says Randy Nelson of real estate site Movoto.com, which recently ranked America's 100 largest cities for pot-friendliness.
The site graded communities on a weighted scale of seven factors, from whether applicable state laws legalize weed for recreational and/or medicinal use to how many hemp festivals and other "4:20-friendly" offerings a city has on a per-capita basis.
Movoto put together the analysis at a time more and more states are taking a lenient attitude toward pot.In addition to Colorado and Washington voters' decisions to OK recreational weed, some 20 states have legalized pot for medical use and more than a dozen have "decriminalized" recreational marijuana. Adults caught with small personal stashes in those states face modest fines but no prison time. By contrast,"The most obvious connection [pot-unfriendly cities] share is that they're all located in states that have the strictest anti-marijuana laws," Nelson says. Read on to check out the cities at the bottom of the baggie in Movoto's rankings (or click here to see which communities placed the highest for embracing the high). In addition to looking at state weed laws and per-capita hemp festivals, the study considered local rates of head shops and medical-marijuana dispensaries, as well as what percent of residents have prescriptions for medicinal pot. National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV