What about the interiors of these two cars? In the BMW you sit higher and it's easier to get in and out. The front seat is more comfortable and the seating position is better. The steering wheel telescopes better for people with long legs. The steering wheel itself in the BMW has nicer leather.
The back seat? A major drawback of both cars is they fit only two people. It's more difficult to fit your feet in the Volt, but once you're in the seat it may be a very slightly more comfortable place to sit. I call this a draw.
Luggage space? The Volt is slightly bigger. No mystery here.
In terms of driving the two cars, I have found three differences: The BMW i3 has a better one-pedal driving feeling. For the uninitiated, an electric car brakes itself when you lift off the accelerator. The BMW does this better than the Volt, which does it just fine -- just not as good as the BMW i3, which is class-leading in this calibration.The other difference is the BMW has a more direct steering, which helps mostly in city traffic, and it will take some time go get used to at highway speeds. The other BMW advantage is its maneuverability thanks to its smaller footprint and narrower turning radius, making it ideal for city driving and parking. The main differences between the BMW i3 and Chevrolet Volt come down to three things:
- Do you go on road trips? If yes, get the Volt.
- Does the 90 mile vs 38 mile electric range mean much for you? If yes, it's a big BMW advantage.
- Price. So let's talk about this.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV