SAN FRANCISCO, March 5, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Pacific Gas and Electric Co. (PG&E) today announced that it spent $2.3 billion with diverse suppliers in 2013, accounting for 42.1 percent of its total procurement budget. This total represents an increase of $265.2 million from 2012.
"Our focus on supplier diversity has given new opportunities to thousands of businesses, allowing them to grow and hire, strengthening California's economy," said PG&E President Chris Johns. "It also has led to innovative solutions to the challenges we face as a company, enabling us to better serve our customers and deliver safe, reliable and affordable gas and electric service."
PG&E has been committed to supporting a diverse supply chain for more than three decades. The company has developed one of the state's leading supplier diversity programs, which has resulted in an 11-year trend of consecutive year-over-year growth in diverse spending. As part of the overall record spend with diverse suppliers, PG&E set new all-time standards in total spend in these enterprise categories:
- Minority business enterprise (MBE): $1.5 billion or 27.4 percent of total spend
- Woman business enterprise (WBE): $686.1 million or 12.5 percent
- Service-disabled veteran business enterprise (DVBE): $125.5 million or 2.3 percent.
PG&E's dedication to supplier diversity has played a major role in California's economic growth. A recent study done by the Center for Strategic Economic Research showed PG&E contributed $22.2 billion of economic activity and supported nearly 71,600 jobs in the utility's service area in 2012. A story on this survey appeared in Currents, PG&E's electronic newsletter, on Feb. 20.PG&E also partners with diverse suppliers to help them compete in a constantly changing supply chain through its Technical Assistance Program. This program includes training in signature initiatives to gain a competitive business advantage (such as Diverse Suppliers Go Green and Diverse Suppliers Are Safe), technical assistance partnerships (Small Business Administration business training) and program and educational scholarships to build capacity (UCLA Management Development for Entrepreneurs Program).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV