Search Jim Cramer's "Mad Money" trading recommendations using our exclusive "Mad Money" Stock Screener.
Cramer said he's been racking his brain trying to figure out why some commentators hate the markets of late. But then it hit him -- valuation. There's more than one way for stocks to rise, but to many analysts and pundits there's only one way, and that's growth.
Stocks like Walt Disney (DIS) exemplify this model, said Cramer. The company has become a regular outperformer, delivering consistent growth and dividends that shareholders can depend on.Contrast that to a stock like Monster Beverage (MNST), which is rising because investors are simply willing to pay more for the earnings the company already has. This is called multiple expansion, and the pundits hate it. But stocks can be valued other ways as well, such as on enterprise value, or what another company is willing to pay on a takeover. Then there are stocks like Yelp (YELP) and Concur Technology (CNQR), which are rising on only the promise of increased sales. Then there are the companies valued on dreams. Stocks like Tesla Motors (TSLA) and Solar City (SCTY) trade on what investors hope someday those companies will become. Cramer said he doesn't condone all of these types of valuation, but investors still need to be aware of the many valuation models that are driving so many stocks in today's markets.
Executive Decision: Edward LanphierFor his "Executive Decision" segment, Cramer spoke with Edward Lanphier, president and CEO of Sangamo BioSciences (SGMO), a stock that was up 17% Thursday on positive news stemming from its clinical trials. Shares of Sangamo are up 145% since Cramer first recommended it 11 months ago. Lanphier explained Sangamo is developing a genome editing platform that can repair or remove any gene in the body. While many of its treatments are still in Phase II testing, the prospects for HIV and genetic diseases is very exciting.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV