The Hershey Company (NYSE: HSY) today announced it has exceeded three of its key environmental sustainability goals set in 2012. Hershey has surpassed its water consumption target three years early and its zero waste to landfill (ZWL) and recycling targets two years early. By the end of 2013, the company had converted six of its manufacturing facilities to ZWL, surpassing its 2015 goal of five; achieved a recycling rate of 86.6 percent, beating its 2015 goal of 85 percent; and reduced water consumption per pound of product by 58 percent by the end of 2012, far exceeding its 2015 goal of 10 percent.
A group of Hershey Company employees passionate about the environment analyzed office waste to discover recycling opportunities. (Photo: Business Wire)
“As a global company, we are conscious of our impact and the changes we can and must make to be a more sustainable organization,” said Terry O’Day, Senior Vice President and Chief Supply Chain Officer at Hershey. “We set ambitious environmental goals and we are proud of the progress we’ve made. Environmental stewardship has become an inherent part of how we operate day to day, and we will continue to do even more in the years ahead.”
The company’s progress on water was partly attributable to “Project Next Century,” which included the expansion of Hershey’s West Hershey manufacturing facility and the closure of its legacy 19 East Chocolate Ave. plant. The transfer of operations to the modern, more efficient West Hershey facility produced significant water reductions. Hershey expects to decrease water consumption even further and will have more detailed results available in its third CSR report, available this spring.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV