NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- XOMA Corporation (XOMA) was plunging 25% to $7.08 at 10:26 a.m. on Wednesday after the biotechnology company announced that it would not move forward with late-stage testing of its drug gevokizumab as a treatment for a form of arthritis in the hand after results from two mid-stage studies did not prove the drug effective.
The two studies compared gevokizumab with a placebo to determine if the drug improved pain, stiffness and physical function in the hand via monthly injections. The company announced patients on the placebo actually showed a greater improvement than those on gevokizumab in the final three months of one of the studies. Xoma said its review of the study did not show a significant benefit from the drug after six months.
Credit Suisse also downgraded XOMA to "neutral" from "outperform" on Wednesday in the wake of the company's announcement.
Must Read: Warren Buffett's 10 Favorite Dividend StocksSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates XOMA CORP as a "hold" with a ratings score of C-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate XOMA CORP (XOMA) a HOLD. The primary factors that have impacted our rating are mixed - some indicating strength, some showing weaknesses, with little evidence to justify the expectation of either a positive or negative performance for this stock relative to most other stocks. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its solid stock price performance and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including unimpressive growth in net income and weak operating cash flow. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV