Celanese Corporation (NYSE: CE), a global technology and specialty materials company, and Southwire Company LLC, North America’s largest wire and cable producer, today introduced an affordable option for utility transmission lines – the new C 7TM Overhead Conductor with a multi-stranded composite core of Celstran® continuous fiber-reinforced thermoplastic rods (CFR-TPR) from Celanese.
“Designed for utilities that want greater flexibility, reliability and ease of installation, the C 7 Overhead Conductor uses Celstran® CFR-TPR composite technology that involves an innovative combination of carbon-fiber and a heat-resistant Fortron® PPS (polyphenylene sulfide) matrix that is capped with a layer of high-performance PEEK (polyether ether ketone),” said Michael Ruby, Celanese global composites business manager. “This combination of materials provides distinct advantages compared to alternative High Temperature Low Sag (HTLS) technology and conventional conductors.”
The Celanese- and Southwire-developed transmission conductor delivers nearly double the capacity and exhibits less sag than the same diameter aluminum conductor steel-reinforced (ACSR) conductor. The design allows for minimum sag at higher power transfer, and the stranded Celstran® CFR-TPR core means there is no single point of failure for the overhead conductor.
“Southwire has a 60-year history of quality and innovation when it comes to supplying utilities with transmission solutions,” said Mark Lancaster, director of overhead transmission engineering at Southwire. “Our goal in creating the Southwire C 7 Overhead Conductor was to give customers an alternative to our standard ACSR and HS285 transmission line solutions that offers flexibility, reliability and ruggedness to stand up to a variety of difficult environments.”Thanks to innovative and patented Celanese engineered material technology, backed by advanced and proprietary processing, the C 7 Overhead Conductor with Celstran® CFR-TPR provides seven key advantages:
- Minimal Thermal Expansion – Lowest level available in a composite core for minimal sag increase at high power transfer.
- Lightweight – High strength-to-weight ratio.
- Multi-Element Core – No single point of failure, unlike monolithic constructs.
- Flexible and Robust – Installs like traditional conductor without the need for special training and equipment.
- Celanese Engineered Material – The only all-thermoplastic composite core in the world, backed by 50-plus years of material innovation and know-how, with high-temperature performance (180 to 225 degrees Celsius).
- Multiple Conductor Designs – Tailored for installation requirements, from light-to-heavy ice loads, normal-to-long spans, and numerous conductor constructions.
- Use of Conventional Connectors – Traditional, crew-friendly, two-piece compression fittings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV