There's also been speculation that the next version of the iPhone would include an integrated modem/wireless local area network (WLAN) using Qualcomm (QCOM) chips, but Misek notes he believes it will stay with Broadcom (BRCM), despite the possibility of Apple saving $3 per iPhone. "While we had hoped for the combo, our Apple estimates do not reflect margin upside from an integrated modem/WLAN. Additionally, we believe that suppliers are continuing to give pricing concessions to Apple, helping margins."
Perhaps the last, and potentially most important thing, about the next iPhone is the inclusion of mobile payments. Cook has talked about mobile payments on the most recent earnings call, noting that was one of the thoughts behind TouchID. "The mobile payments area in general is one that we've been intrigued with, and that was one of the thoughts behind Touch ID," he said on the earnings call. "But we're not limiting ourselves just to that. So I don't have anything specific to announce today, but you can tell by looking at the demographics of our customers and the amount of commerce that goes through iOS devices versus the competition that it's a big opportunity on the platform."
A move into mobile payments could get institutional investors back into the stock, something that's plagued Apple for the better part of two years.--Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Chris_Ciaccia
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV