Marijuana Prison Sentence Is a Great Resume Builder
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Have you heard the one about Robert Duncan, the "pot shop worker" who is going to prison for two years for selling medical marijuana in California?
So even though California likely won't make pot legal for recreational use until 2016, it does permit the sale of marijuana for medical purposes, however specious. Federal laws, however, still classify marijuana as a schedule 1 controlled substance, which means Duncan is a criminal in the eyes of the U.S. government.
So he is going to prison.
And he's blogging about it.
And the Huffington Post is covering the heck out of it.
Maybe so, but another factor is that reforming drug laws already seems like a done deal. Legislation to reduce drug sentences and give judges more discretion in sentencing drug offenders is already making good progress through Congress, with support from parties as widely divergent from an ideological point of view as tea party leader and Kentucky Senator Rand Paul and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder.
So, #freerobertduncan if you like. Just don't cry for him. Follow @dan_freed Why 'El Chapo' Guzman Bust Was a Mistake
California Pot Push is Postponed Marijuana Love Unites Blue and Red States
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV