NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Deutsche Bank equity strategist David Bianco has five compelling ways for S&P 500 companies to increase their stock price in 2014 after broader indices gained nearly 30% last year in a still bumpy U.S. economic recovery. Bianco's recommendations include strategies to squeeze out further expense reductions after years of cost cutting and ways of putting corporate cash to work in an economic manner for shareholders.
To improve share price performance, Bianco recommends S&P 500 index CFO's increase their net debt, raise dividend payout ratios, lower pension burdens through lump-sum settlements, project more realistic investment return hurdles on capital investment projects and look to offshore their headquarters as a means to "improve tax efficient access to global cash flow."
"These actions relate to capital structure, investment and risk budgeting, shareholder distributions, and long-term tax planning," Bianco said in a Monday note to clients.
Those recommendations aren't likely to surprise many C-Suites, who've pulled similar levers in recent years to generate record profits in a still-weak growth environment. Four of the five ways at creating shareholder value also likely aren't likely to lead to any meaningful employment gains, raising the prospect of a worsening disconnect between U.S. corporate performance and the wider economy.Corporate profits continue to reach new records, even as unemployment across the U.S. remains high and middle class incomes stagnate. Still, in an environment where activist and private equity investors are ready to pounce on inefficiently run companies, many C-Suites are likely to heed Bianco's advice. For instance, Apple (AAPL), one of the largest companies in the U.S. by market cap, has spent recent years implementing financing and tax strategies that accomplish most of Bianco's recommendations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV