'Fast Money' Recap: Mardi Gras on Wall Street
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 erased Monday's losses with a strong Tuesday, finishing the session higher by 1.50%.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, Josh Brown, CEO and co-founder of Ritholtz Wealth Management, noted that 490 of the 500 stocks in the S&P 500 closed higher Tuesday. The financial sector was exceptionally strong, too.
Tim Seymour, managing partner of Triogem Asset Management, said to sell gold and buy equities while purchasing volatility as a hedge.
Brian Kelly, founder of Brian Kelly Capital, said investors should not try to trade geopolitical issues since it is impossible to know what the outcome will be. He is a buyer of gold, arguing that it has strong demand from China.Pete Najarian, co-founder of optionmonster.com and trademonster.com, noted the upside call selling in the Chicago Volatility Index (VIX.X) (bearish on volatility), the downside put selling on the iShares MSCI Emerging Markets ETF (EEM) (bullish on emerging markets) and the downside put selling on the Market Vectors Russia ETF (RSX) (bullish on Russia). He is a buyer of U.S. equities. Facebook (FB) is in talks to buy Titan Aerospace for $60 million. Mike Isaac, senior editor at Re/Code, was a guest on the show discussing the possible acquisition. He likes the potential deal, saying it would help the company achieves its Internet.org goal of bringing Internet access to the entire world. Google (GOOG) has a similar initiative. Doing so could be beneficial to the companies years down the road, as these underdeveloped economies become more developed, he concluded. Seymour said he is a seller of European telecom companies such as Telefonica (TEF), Telenor and TeliaSonera. Najarian is a buyer of Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV