Russian soldiers recently took control of several locations in the Crimea region of Ukraine. The U.S. condemned the move, warning of consequences. As a Russian telecom, Mobile Telesystems was hurt by the potential consequences of the invasion.
VimpelCom (VIP), another Russian telecom, was also hurt by the invasion. Shares of the company were falling 6.8% to $9.47.
Must read: 5 Technology Stocks Dragging The Sector Down
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 8.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues slightly increased by 5.5%. This growth in revenue does not appear to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, displayed by a decline in earnings per share.
- The company's current return on equity greatly increased when compared to its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a signal of significant strength within the corporation. Compared to other companies in the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry and the overall market, MOBILE TELESYSTEMS OJSC's return on equity significantly exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- The gross profit margin for MOBILE TELESYSTEMS OJSC is currently very high, coming in at 71.77%. It has increased from the same quarter the previous year. Despite the strong results of the gross profit margin, MBT's net profit margin of 17.62% significantly trails the industry average.
- The company, on the basis of change in net income from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Wireless Telecommunication Services industry. The net income has decreased by 7.6% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $630.01 million to $582.32 million.
- Currently the debt-to-equity ratio of 1.73 is quite high overall and when compared to the industry average, suggesting that the current management of debt levels should be re-evaluated. Along with the unfavorable debt-to-equity ratio, MBT maintains a poor quick ratio of 0.82, which illustrates the inability to avoid short-term cash problems.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MBT Ratings Report
STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV