Here are 10 things you should know for Tuesday, March 4:
1.-- U.S. stock futures on Tuesday were pointing to a recover from Monday's losses as tensions eased in Ukraine.
European shares, as well as those in Russia and Asia, were rising on Tuesday. Japanese stocks ended the session up 0.5%
2.-- The economic calendar in the U.S. on Tuesday is bare.
3.-- U.S. stocks on Monday closed sharply lower Monday as risk aversion spread across global markets amid the rising conflict in Ukraine.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average closed down 0.94% to 16,168.03 while the S&P 500 shed 0.74% to finish at 1,845.73. The Nasdaq fell 0.72% to 4,277.30.
Putin said that ousted Ukrainian leader Viktor Yanukovych is the legitimate leader of the nation, and the country's interim government is the result of a coup, CNN reported. He called the parliament in Ukraine "partly legitimate" but said the country's acting president is not, CNN reported. 5.-- Dish Network (DISH) and Walt Disney (DIS) reached a long-term deal that allows Dish, the No. 2 satellite TV provider, to offer live local broadcasts from ABC TV stations and programming from ABC Family, Disney Channel, ESPN and ESPN2 over mobile devices, set-top boxes and other means, similar to how Netflix's video streams are delivered today. A start date for such a service wasn't announced. It is likely that Dish will have to cut similar deals with other programmers to make such a service attractive, according to The Associated Press.
6. -- RadioShack (RSH) is forecast by Wall on Tuesday to report a fourth-quarter loss of 14 cents a share on revenue of $1.12 billion. 7 -- Tobacco company Reynolds American (RSH) is exploring a bid for its rival Lorillard (LO), The Financial Times reported.
The exact value of a Reynolds bid could not be ascertained, but any offer could value the company at more than $20 billion, people familiar with the matter told the FT. It was unclear if Reynolds, owner of RJ Reynolds brands including Camel, Pall Mall and Kool cigarettes, is planning to bid for all of Lorillard, buy part of it or seek a merger, the newspaper said.
8.-- AutoZone (AZO) is expected by analysts on Tuesday to report fiscal second-quarter profit of $5.55 a share on revenue of $1.97 billion.
9. -- The Senate banking committee announced Monday evening that it would postpone Tuesday's scheduled confirmation hearings for President Obama's three Federal Reserve nominees -- Stanley Fischer, Jerome Powell and Lael Brainard -- following government closures on Monday because of a snowstorm. 10.-- Sony (SNE) said on Tuesday that it sold 6 million PlayStation 4 game consoles as of March 2, well ahead of its target for the fiscal year ending at the end of March, Reuters reported.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV