By Mike Yamamoto of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Energy bulls have been on the rampage for months, and they turned to Patterson-UTI (PTEN) at the end of last week.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of about 8,000 March 30 calls for 40 cents to 55 cents on Friday. The volume dwarfed the strike's previous open interest of just 81 contracts, so new money was clearly being put to work.
These calls lock in the price where the stock can be bought for the next three weeks no matter how far it might climb. This allows investors to leverage even a modest rally for much less money than buying shares directly, but the contracts will expire worthless if the stock remains below $30.Patterson's shares rose 0.38% to $29.11 on Friday. The land driller spiked higher after reporting earnings on Feb. 6 and ran above $30 before pulling back. The energy company is scheduled to present at the Raymond James Annual Institutional Investors Conference Tuesday afternoon. Overall option volume in the name on Friday was 21 times its daily average for the last month. Calls accounted for a bullish 82% of the total. Yamamoto has no positions in PTEN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV