DENVER, March 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- DaVita, a division of DaVita HealthCare Partners Inc. (NYSE: DVA) and a leading provider of kidney care services, is encouraging people who are at risk for kidney disease to make a new resolution to learn and understand their risk during National Kidney Month.
One in 10 adults age 20 or older in the U.S. has kidney disease, but many people don't know they have it or that they are even at risk because the disease is often symptomless. Kidney disease is one of the few chronic illnesses that can be slowed down or in some cases even prevented when caught early enough.
Take a short quiz to learn your risk for kidney disease at DaVita.com/LearnYourRisk.
People at risk for kidney disease include those with diabetes and high blood pressure, as well as older adults, Hispanics, African-Americans and American Indians. Other risk factors for kidney disease include cardiovascular disease, obesity, high cholesterol, lupus and a family history of the disease.In fact, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:
- One in three people with diabetes has kidney disease.
- One in five people with high blood pressure has kidney disease.
- African-Americans are about three and a half times more likely to develop kidney failure than whites.
- Hispanics are one and a half times more likely to develop kidney failure than non-Hispanics.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts