Genentech, a member of the Roche Group (SIX: RO, ROG; OTCQX: RHHBY), announced today that an independent data monitoring committee has recommended that the Phase III METLung study be stopped due to a lack of clinically meaningful efficacy.
The study evaluated if onartuzumab (MetMab) in combination with Tarceva ® (erlotinib) helped people with previously treated, advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) whose tumors were identified as MET-positive live longer compared to Tarceva alone. Overall adverse event rates were generally similar between the two groups. Data will be submitted for presentation at an upcoming medical meeting.
"These results are disappointing because new options are needed for people with lung cancer, the most common and deadly cancer worldwide,” said Sandra Horning, M.D., chief medical officer and head of Global Product Development. "We remain committed to helping people with lung cancer and are studying several investigational medicines in this disease.”
Genentech is evaluating the implications of the METLung study results across the ongoing onartuzumab clinical program.About the METLung Study (NCT01456325)
- METLung is a Phase III, randomized, double-blind study evaluating the efficacy and safety profile of onartuzumab in combination with Tarceva in patients with previously treated (second- or third-line) advanced NSCLC identified to be MET-positive. The METLung study included a companion diagnostic immunohistochemistry (IHC) test that was co-developed with Ventana Medical Systems, Inc., a member of the Roche Group.
Four hundred and ninety-nine patients were randomized to receive 150
mg of Tarceva taken daily plus either:
- Intravenous 15 mg/kg of onartuzumab every three weeks
- Intravenous placebo every three weeks
- The primary endpoint is overall survival. Secondary endpoints include progression-free survival, objective response rate and safety profile.
- The results announced today are from a pre-specified interim analysis.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV