Amazon (AMZN) is said to be moments away from releasing its own device to compete against a growing field of competitors including Apple TV (AAPL), Netgear NeoTV (NTGR), Google (GOOG) Chromecast, Roku, Sony (SNE), and others.
Apple seems skittish about the rumor. As reported Friday, Apple is offering a rare discount promotion on Apple TVs bought by March 5. U.S. consumers who buy an Apple TV box between February 28 and March 5 can receive a $25 iTunes gift card. An Apple discount this time of year is so unusual that expectations of a forthcoming next generation Apple TV box increased dramatically.If Amazon is truly days away from product release, an Apple TV discount is a preemptive strike against Amazon's entry. And if Apple is nearing its own update, it's motivated to clear the shelves. But for now, the set-top box king is Roku. The small, privately held company is the market leader. It's also beloved by tech critics like TheStreet's own Rocco Pendola, who said that the Roku 3 "nails this one across the board" and crushes the Apple TV. According to Parks Associates, Roku enjoys the pole position in video streamers with about a 37% market share, followed by No. 2 Apple TV at 24%. Parks also predicts the number of devices will almost double to around 330 million by 2017. I have my doubts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV