OMAHA, Neb. -- Investors eagerly await Warren Buffett's letter to Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A) (BRK.B) shareholders each year for its plain-spoken insight into the billionaire's financial strategy and economic predictions.
Buffett had plenty of good news to discuss Saturday, March 1, as he recounted the performance of his Omaha, Neb., based company with humor and wit. He also dispensed some investing advice.
Here's some of what Buffett had to say:___ Swing Both Ways When It Comes to Investing Buffett said Berkshire likes to buy businesses outright, but also will invest large sums in stock or partial ownership of a company to increase its profit opportunities. "Woody Allen stated the general idea when he said: 'The advantage of being bisexual is that it doubles your chances for a date on Saturday night.' Similarly, our appetite for either operating businesses or passive investments doubles our chances of finding sensible uses for our endless gusher of cash." ___ Know Your Limitations "You don't need to be an expert in order to achieve satisfactory investment returns. But if you aren't, you must recognize your limitations and follow a course certain to work reasonably well. Keep things simple and don't swing for the fences. When promised quick profits, respond with a quick 'no.'" For investors who don't have the skills or time to estimate the value of investments, Buffett recommends making regular purchases of a low-cost stock index fund and resisting the urge to actively trade. "So ignore the chatter, keep your costs minimal, and invest in stocks as you would in a farm." ___ Longevity The 83-year-old Buffett devoted a section of his letter to praising Rose Blumkin and her Nebraska Furniture Mart home furnishings store, which Berkshire bought in 1983.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV