BRAMPTON, ON, March 1, 2014 /CNW/ - (TSX: L) - On Friday, February 28, 2014, an employee of a grocery distribution centre in Edmonton, Alberta attacked six co-workers, with two resulting fatalities and four individuals suffering injuries, some serious. The distribution centre is owned and operated by Loblaw Companies Limited and serves retail locations in western Canada.
At the time of the incident, the company initially provided only brief comments due to the uncertainty surrounding the rapidly unfolding events and out of respect for the active police manhunt and investigation. With confirmation of colleague fatalities, injuries and an arrest, the company provides the following statement:
" Friday was a tragic day at our Edmonton distribution centre. We lost friends, others were injured and our entire team was shaken. We appreciate the swift response of the Edmonton police force and the courage of colleagues who assisted in the care and safety of our co-workers. Most of all, we honour our colleagues who were injured and killed. Our thoughts are with them and their families, and our team is forever saddened.
Out of this tragedy, we will work to recover our team spirit. Our facility will be closed as long as is appropriate so we can focus on those we lost and provide counseling to our colleagues. The wellbeing and safety of our team remains our priority."Media seeking any information related to the incident or investigation should contact the Edmonton Police Department. SOURCE Loblaw Companies Limited
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV