Russian Senate Authorizes Use of Force in Ukraine
By a unanimous vote, Russia's upper house of Parliament approved the use of military force in Ukraine.
Citing the "extraordinary situation in Ukraine," President Vladimir Putin of Russia asked for approval to send Russian troops into Ukraine's Crimea region to normalize the political situation there, the Kremlin said Saturday. But the request was little more than a formality.
Putin said there are threats to the lives of Russian citizens and Russian military personnel based in the southern Crimean region.
This sign of the Kremlin's readiness to intervene militarily comes just a day after President Barack Obama warned Russia to respect Ukraine's sovereignty."Any violation of Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity would be deeply destabilizing, which is not in the interests of Ukraine, Russia or Europe," Obama said Friday. "It would represent a profound interference in matters that must be determined by the Ukrainian people. Valentina Matvienko, the head of Russia's upper house of Parliament, said in televised comments Saturday that she planned to ask Putin to recall the Russian ambassador to the U.S. She cited Obama's statements "threatening Russia." CNN reported that Sweden's Foreign Minister Carl Bildt tweeted, "Russian military intervention in Ukraine is clearly against international law and principles of European security." The U.N. Security Council was planning to hold informal consultations Saturday to address the situation in Ukraine, CNN said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV