NEW YORK (
TheStreet) -- Not a day goes by without some analysts complaining about
(AMZN) valuation and how much the company spends each quarter. I know that tune won't change anytime soon. Those complaints helped send the stock down 9% for the year to date as of Friday's close.
The company wants to take on Pandora (P), Spotify and Apple's (AAPL) iTunes Radio. If this is true, you can expect an impact on Amazon's quarterly earnings -- not to mention a possible hit on margins due to the costs this would require. But so what?
The way I see it, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos is introducing an effective marketing advantage known as bundling. To further differentiate Amazon's services, Bezos will be able to package Amazon's Prime service, its 2-day shipping, and now music streaming. All of this will be brought to you into a low-cost bundle consumers are certain to buy.
Would Netflix (NFLX) be able to compete with this service? Netflix charges $7.99 per month for (only) movies and TV shows?
Amazon's stock has always been expensive -- and the Street has never cared. It seems counterintuitive that we would begin to care about Amazon's stock now when CEO Jeff Bezos has introduced (among other things) the idea of drone-delivered packages. Sure, earnings aren't spectacular. Margins have underwhelmed, to put it mildly. Even so, Amazon continues to grow year-over-year revenue at a 20% clip. If this performance wasn't seen as "routine" the Street would be celebrating how amazing that actually is.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV