- Place flashlights in handy locations, such as near telephones.
- Install surge protectors to help safeguard valuable electronic equipment, such as computers and home entertainment systems.
- Know where to find each utility box (electricity, water and gas) and how to turn them off. Keep the proper tools to do so handy.
- Always back up important work and files on your computer.
- If you have an automatic garage door or gate, learn how to open them manually (without power).
- Consider keeping at least one car at least half full with fuel. Gas stations need electricity to pump gas and will be shut down during an outage. Please note that stockpiling gasoline is not recommended. Gasoline is a hazardous, combustible substance. Portable gasoline generators should never be used inside homes, garages, office buildings or other enclosed spaces.
- Make a safety preparedness plan for your family that includes a list and location of the above items. Be prepared to meet the special needs of infants and elderly or disabled family members. Also plan how you will care for any pets.
Crews Continue To Restore Power To Areas Affected By Weather-Related Outages
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts