NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Splunk (SPLK) closed lower on Friday after quarterly and full-year earnings came in below consensus and revenue guidance for the first quarter and fiscal 2015 missed expectations.
By market close, shares had taken off 2.9% to $92.75. Trading volume of 5.35 million was nearly three times its three-month daily average.
The real-time data software engineer posted net income of 3 cents a share for the three months to January. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated net income of 5 cents a share.
Quarterly revenue of $99.9 million jumped 53.2% year over year and beat consensus by $9.4 million.For the full year, the company recorded a net loss of 3 cents a share, wider than expectations of a loss of a penny a share. Management guided for current-quarter revenue between $78 million and $80 million, under consensus of $80.57 million. Fiscal 2015 sales are expected around $400 million. Analysts had forecast sales of $405.21 million. Must Read: Ukraine Won't Become a Cold War Throwback STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates SPLUNK INC as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate SPLUNK INC (SPLK) a SELL. This is driven by some concerns, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its deteriorating net income, disappointing return on equity and feeble growth in its earnings per share."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: SPLK Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV