But WhatsApp is more than that. The company boasts about having half a billion active users and is growing that number by a million per day. At that rate, WhatsApp will reach two billion active user within two years. It would have done this faster than Facebook. Considering that the company has developed the capability to offer voice calls in a couple of months, Facebook has just bought another means of user monetization.
It's easy to criticize Facebook here because we have no way of knowing if it was in a bidding war with, say, Google (GOOG). Do you not suppose perhaps Amazon (AMZN) or Microsoft (MSFT) might have been interested?
Along those same lines, in 2006 I recall several critics attacking Google for its $1.65 billion deal for YouTube. Eight years later, YouTube is the second-most-visited site on the Internet.
More than anything, what aggravates me about these critics is how Facebook has always gotten blasted for its weak mobile monetization. Now that the company is looking to leverage its recent mobile progress, it gets beaten up for that as well. You can't have it both ways.
Like Manny Ramirez, Facebook may venture into its own world at times but it delivers when and where it matters. That's all you need to understand. At the time of publication, the author held no position in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @Richard_WSPB This article represents the opinion of a contributor and not necessarily that of TheStreet or its editorial staff.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV