NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- MasTec (MTZ) hit a ten-year high of $41.67 as of 3 p.m. EST on Friday after the infrastructure engineering and construction company reported fourth-quarter results and issued full-year guidance that beat analysts' expectations.
The company reported adjusted earnings per share of 53 cents, up from 47 cents in the same period one year ago. This edged the consensus estimate of 52 cents, according to analysts polled by Thomson Reuters. Revenue increased 24% year over year to $1.16 billion from $932.36 million, which beat analysts' estimate of $1.09 billion.
For the full year 2014, Mastec expects earnings per share of $2.27 to $2.30 on revenue of $4.65 billion to $4.7 billion, which edged the consensus estimate of $2.26 on revenue of $4.69 billion. The first-quarter guidance was not as rosy, though, as the company anticipates 20 cents a share on revenue of $920 million, which came up short of analysts' expectations of 38 cents a share on revenue of $1.04 billion.
Must Read: MTZ October 18th Options Begin TradingSTOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates MASTEC INC as a "buy" with a ratings score of A-. TheStreet Ratings Team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate MASTEC INC (MTZ) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, solid stock price performance, impressive record of earnings per share growth, notable return on equity and attractive valuation levels. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow." Highlights from the analysis by TheStreet Ratings Team goes as follows:
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.3%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 18.9%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The strong earnings growth this company has enjoyed -- up -- has apparently played a role in driving up its share price by a solid 25.73%. In addition, the rise in the general market has likely contributed to this stock's strong performance during this past year.Turning to the future, naturally, any stock can fall in a major bear market. However, in almost any other environment, the stock should continue to move higher despite the fact that it has already enjoyed nice gains in the past year.
- MASTEC INC has improved earnings per share by 31.1% in the most recent quarter compared to the same quarter a year ago. The company has demonstrated a pattern of positive earnings per share growth over the past two years. We feel that this trend should continue. During the past fiscal year, MASTEC INC increased its bottom line by earning $1.43 versus $1.13 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($1.88 versus $1.43).
- The return on equity has improved slightly when compared to the same quarter one year prior. This can be construed as a modest strength in the organization. Compared to other companies in the Construction & Engineering industry and the overall market, MASTEC INC's return on equity exceeds that of both the industry average and the S&P 500.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: MTZ Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts