Don't Expect Congress to Move Quickly on Marijuana
Considering the DEA just published a report in January 2014 titled, "The Dangers and Consequences of Marijuana Abuse," it is unlikely the agency will pursue this. In it, the DEA states that, "legalization of marijuana, no matter how it begins, will come at the expense of our children and public safety." The DEA says it supports research into the use of marijuana as a medicine, but also quotes the FDA in saying there is no sound scientific study supporting medicinal use for marijuana, even though 21 states have approved legalization for medicinal use. "I think it's clear that it's not a schedule 1 drug in that there are clear therapeutic benefits," said Blumenauer.
In fact, there is very little in this report that is complimentary towards marijuana and it is overwhelmingly negative. For example, the report only lists the medical associations that have reservations about marijuana and lists none that are positive. None. It's this kind of lop-sided approach that Congressman Cohen says hurts the DEA's credibility with the public. Suffice to say, the DEA will not be initiating proceedings anytime soon to change the schedule 1 classification.
"To me it's a fait accompli that marijuana is going to be legalized in the United States," said St. Pierre. "My guesstimate is that the Congress could end marijuana prohibition by 2020, maybe 2022"
Written by Debra Borchardt in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV