Vacation Abroad or Stay Ignorant at Home
There's a crucial difference between understanding something intellectually and experiencing it viscerally. You can argue against socialism, the rise of India or wax lyrical about Roman art. But being mobbed by hungry children or staring at the ceiling of St. Peters are unforgettable experiences.
What's the worst that can happen? I've been banned from re-entry to Poland, negotiated tearfully with French police, lost in Lithuania and sick on Amsterdam substances. Those hairy moments are part of the fun.
Listening and speaking to other people abroad makes you a more tolerant, considered person. You'll see the shortcomings of your own country and realize there is no "better" place or culture. Everything is relative. America is not the center of the universe.
Yes, there are economic benefits for the U.S. if more of you took time off. About $73 billion annually, according to a study by Oxford Economics for the U.S. Travel Association.But forget economic arguments. The value of travel and a broader perspective can't be measured in monetary terms. Do it to have a richer life, to be a person of depth. Perhaps you still don't care, you're not curious. So buy your fancy cars and homes and squander your vacation time. Do it proudly and burn the midnight oil at work. Know the rest of the world is cringing at your lack of worldliness, pitying your narrow existence. -- By Jane Searle in New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV