NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 closed lower as unrest in Ukraine has investors concerned.
On CNBC's "Fast Money" TV show, Tim Seymour, managing partner of Triogem Asset Management, said the stock market traded better than he expected. However, he's not yet a buyer.
Brian Kelly, founder of Brian Kelly Capital, questioned how these events would affect the global economy. He is a buyer of gold, and also pointed out how weak the European markets were on Monday, with the DAX closing lower by 3.44% and the CAC 40 closing off 2.66%.
Karen Finerman, president of Metropolitan Capital Advisors, was pleasantly surprised with how well the U.S. market traded on Monday.Guy Adami, managing director of stockmonster.com, said Monday's trading results should have been much worse. He added that the strong bond market concerns him about the stock market. Specifically, he said Lockheed Martin (LMT) and Anadarko Petroleum (APC) both look good on the long side. Seymour said crude oil and brent crude oil are not breaking down but could be breaking out to the upside. Kelly pointed out the strength in commodities, which has been present even before the current issues in Ukraine arose. The rapid rise could start affecting individual companies, especially restaurants. Finerman said Golar LNG Limited (GLNG) could benefit from a natural gas shortage in Ukraine. Dennis Gartman, editor and publisher of The Gartman Letter, said investors should stay long the grain market while gold appears to be breaking out. He added that crude oil also looks like it will continue higher. Regarding U.S. equities, he said it's still in a bull market and suggested buying the dips.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV