In the three months to Dec. 31, the digital financial publisher reported net income of $213,000, or a penny a share, compared to a net loss of $2.2 million, or 7 cents a share, in the year-ago quarter.
Quarterly revenue jumped 7.1% to $14.8 million, boosted by a 9.7% increase in its subscription services segment, primarily a result of organic growth in subscription newsletters and M&A publication The Deal. Around 80% of total revenue is subscription-based.
Operating expenses decreased 8.9% to $14.6 million. Stripping out the impact of restructuring and other one-time charges, operating expenses fell 5.9% from a year earlier.For the full year, the Wall Street-based business generated $54.5 million in revenue, up 7.4% from 2012 and in excess of prior guidance of $53 million to $54 million. The company narrowed its yearly losses to $3.8 million, or 11 cents a share, from a loss of $12.7 million, or 38 cents a share, a year earlier. "In 2014, we will continue to focus on growing subscriptions across our institutional and retail platforms, as well as improving user experience on our free site," said CEO Elisabeth DeMarse in a statement. STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV