From Brands To Blockbusters: 17 Winners and Busts
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- I had a hunch Hollywood had run out of original ideas when they dragged Indiana Jones out of his well-earned retirement. My suspicions were confirmed when they began to stuff cavalcades of actors into a single movie like it was a clown car (a la Valentine's Day, New Year's Eve, The Expendables).
But as it turns out, this isn't a new development. Tinseltown has been out of ideas for decades, mining inspiration from sources it already knows you've spent money on. If there's a slight chance audiences will throw some cash at it, you better believe they've made a movie of it.
It's a lucrative deal when brands are used as a basis for blockbusters and an audience is eager to spend $15 for a two-hour advertisement.
And while some have earned their keep, others bombed. Here are TheStreet's top picks for when brands turn blockbuster...Note: All box office figures are sourced from BoxOffice.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV