HOUSTON, Feb. 27, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- NBA Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler and other NBA legends thrilled students at Houston's Crespo Elementary School Thursday when they helped tip off a joint initiative from BBVA Compass and NBA Cares to bring financial education programs to 25,000 students throughout the U.S. this year.
Drexler, the 10-time NBA All-Star who helped lead the Houston Rockets to the NBA Championship in 1995, joined NBA legends T.J. Ford, Elvin Hayes and John Lucas, along with bank volunteers, on visits to pre-K through third-grade classrooms at the school in the East End, where they talked to the students about the importance of staying in school. NBA Cares Ambassador and NBA legend Felipe Lopez introduced fourth-graders to the basics of money smarts, while the volunteers later taught fifth-grade students the basics of managing money through a trivia-style game.
"Clyde is a champion in every sense of the word — all of these guys are — so it's an honor to be out here with them teaching the importance of education, fitness and money management," said BBVA Compass Houston City President Mark Montgomery. "Crespo is a fine arts magnet school and the kids are bursting with talent, so it was nice to be able to fully engage them in something we consider so important. They're our future leaders."
The event marked this year's debut of the bank's annual effort to bring the Vault financial education program, developed by education technology firm EverFi, into schools across the BBVA Compass footprint at no cost to the schools or school districts. The course features interactive lessons, games and story-based activities that challenge children from an early age to make choices in real-life scenarios to best achieve important goals around saving and job planning.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV