CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Feb. 27, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Merrimack Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (Nasdaq:MACK), a biopharmaceutical company discovering, developing and preparing to commercialize innovative medicines paired with companion diagnostics for the treatment of cancer, today announced its fourth quarter and full year 2013 financial results.
"We are pleased with the progress we made this past quarter advancing our therapeutic and diagnostic candidates," said Robert Mulroy, President and CEO of Merrimack. "We took a major step forward with the biomarker results for MM-121, which support our hypothesis on the importance of ErbB3 in cancer resistance. We also presented encouraging monotherapy and imaging data on MM-302. In addition, we made significant progress on the business development front, initiating a profit share collaboration with Actavis that has the potential to provide future cash flow to fund R&D."
Merrimack will host a conference call today, Thursday, February 27 at 4:30 p.m., Eastern Time, to provide an update on its development pipeline, focusing on MM-398, Merrimack's lead product candidate for which top line Phase 3 data is expected in the second quarter of 2014. The call will also provide a summary of fourth quarter and full year 2013 financial results.Investors and the general public are invited to listen to the call by dialing (877) 564-1301 (domestic) or (224) 357-2394 (international) five minutes prior to the start of the call and providing the passcode 3018260. A listen-only webcast of the call and the accompanying slides can be accessed in the Investors section of Merrimack's website, http://investors.merrimackpharma.com, and a replay of the call will be archived there for six weeks following the call. Key Recent Events
- In the past few months, Merrimack achieved a number of significant accomplishments, including:
- Announcement of top line data from Phase 2 studies in ovarian and ER/PR+ breast cancer in which MM-121 demonstrated a positive signal;
- Presentation of encouraging clinical data from an expanded Phase 1 study of MM-302 for the treatment of advanced HER2-positive breast cancer at the 2013 San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium;
- Announcement of a nanotechnology collaboration agreement with Actavis;
- Initiation of a Phase 1 clinical study of MM-398 in combination with cyclophosphamide for pediatric solid tumors;
- Presentation of preclinical data at the American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 2014 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium; and
- Publication of preclinical study results of Merrimack's MM-141 in Molecular Cancer Therapeutics.
- Announcement of top line data for the Phase 3 MM-398 NAPOLI-1 trial in the second quarter of 2014;
- Announcement of top line data for the Phase 2 triple negative breast cancer cohort of MM-121 in the neoadjuvant setting in the second quarter of 2014;
- Presentation of MM-121 Phase 2 data at a medical conference in the second quarter of 2014;
- Continued enrollment in the Phase 2 program for MM-111 in gastric, esophageal and gastroesophageal cancers;
- Initiation of a Phase 2 clinical study for MM-302 in 2014;
- Initiation of a Phase 2 clinical study for MM-151 in 2014; and
- Initiation of a Phase 2 clinical study for MM-141 in 2014.
- Cowen & Company 34 th Annual Health Care Conference, Monday, March 3 in Boston;
- Bank of American Merrill Lynch 2014 Health Care Conference, May 13-15 in Las Vegas; and
- UBS 2014 Global Healthcare Conference, May 19-21 in New York City.
- $21.3 million of increased research and development expense primarily associated with Merrimack's clinical stage product candidates;
- $10.4 million of increased interest expense from Merrimack's term loan with Hercules Technology Growth Capital, Inc., which closed in the fourth quarter of 2012, and from Merrimack's 4.50% convertible senior notes, which were issued in July 2013, of which $3.7 million is imputed non-cash expense primarily related to the convertible feature of the convertible senior notes; and
- $5.4 million of increased general and administrative expense primarily associated with increased headcount costs to support clinical development, increased rent expense and increased costs to support commercialization efforts on MM-398.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV