PPG is headquartered in Pittsburgh and manufactures paints, specialty coatings, optical materials and chemicals. At the close on Thursday, PPG stock was at $193.69. The shares are up 45.9% over the past year.
Cramer lauds Bunch for his foresight. He was "the first to recognize that you have to get out of commodity chemicals and be in proprietary chemicals" in order to best the competition. Bunch's strategy helped PPG fight back against the "knock-offs" and cheap Chinese products.
"The man has a vision," Cramer said.Bunch seeks to "dominate" the coatings market in growth areas. Plus "he's the best paint play in the country," Cramer said -- and that includes competitor Sherwin-Williams (SHW). In the chemicals and coatings field, Cramer sees PPG as well ahead of Dow Chemical (DOW) and DuPont (DD). Cramer said he admires Ellen Kullman, DuPont's CEO, but Chuck Bunch is more bankable. --Written by Nora Morrison in Cleveland. Follow @NoTicker
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV