Recently, Best Buy stock was up 4.96% to $27.11. J.C. Penney was up 24.6% to $7.42. Is this kind of bounce deserved or not?
Cramer assessed J.C. Penney as a "mediocre retailer," but one that isn't anywhere near going out of business. He guessed the stock could trade to $9 or $10 "without a problem."
Best Buy still shows some upward momentum, Cramer said. He wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% move. Management is working to fix the company, and consumers are spending a little more freely. That could benefit the company.
"Both stocks could trade higher," Cramer said -- but they aren't his favorites. That distinction goes to Macy's (M) and TJX (TJX), both of which are in the Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust portfolio, of which Cramer is co-manager. Macy's and TJX are a better value for investors in retail stocks, Cramer judged.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV