Recently, Best Buy stock was up 4.96% to $27.11. J.C. Penney was up 24.6% to $7.42. Is this kind of bounce deserved or not?
Cramer assessed J.C. Penney as a "mediocre retailer," but one that isn't anywhere near going out of business. He guessed the stock could trade to $9 or $10 "without a problem."
Best Buy still shows some upward momentum, Cramer said. He wouldn't be surprised to see a 10% move. Management is working to fix the company, and consumers are spending a little more freely. That could benefit the company.
"Both stocks could trade higher," Cramer said -- but they aren't his favorites. That distinction goes to Macy's (M) and TJX (TJX), both of which are in the Action Alerts PLUS charitable trust portfolio, of which Cramer is co-manager. Macy's and TJX are a better value for investors in retail stocks, Cramer judged.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV