By late morning, shares had taken off 7.4% to $16.67.
The women's apparel retailer reported net income of 4 cents a share for the three months to Feb. 1. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had expected net income of 15 cents a share.
Revenue of $610.2 million was 6.4% lower than a year earlier and missed expectations by $45.4 million. Comparable sales decreased 3.4% over the fourth quarter.Decreased comps reflected "lower average dollar sale and transaction count, primarily as a result of the impact of a highly promotional environment in response to lower traffic," the company said in a statement. Must Read: J.C. Penney: 'Less Bad' Ain't a Good Thing STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates CHICOS FAS INC as a Buy with a ratings score of B-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate CHICOS FAS INC (CHS) a BUY. This is driven by a few notable strengths, which we believe should have a greater impact than any weaknesses, and should give investors a better performance opportunity than most stocks we cover. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures and expanding profit margins. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company has had lackluster performance in the stock itself."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: CHS Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV