NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Are investors looking at J.C. Penney (JCP) through rose-colored glasses?
They must be because shares were up strongly in post-market trading Wednesday after the retailer's fourth-quarter earnings announcement, and they are rallying Thursday, up nearly 20%. The market liked what it saw in the company's lower-than-expected loss for the quarter and does not seem concerned revenue was slightly worse than expected. (The bottom-line figure includes a $270 million income tax benefit, which in my view should not be included.)
It is true that gross margins improved to 28.4%, 460 basis points better than the 23.8% reported for the same quarter last year. Same-store sales were up 2%, while online sales grew 26.3%. The company also generated positive free-cash for the quarter, to the tune of $246 million, by my calculation.
Investors looking for something, anything, in terms of signs of life from the company were happy. Could it have been worse? Certainly. However, the bar has been set so low for J.C. Penney that just finding a pulse is considered a step in the right direction.
The fourth quarter is make or break for retailers, when the bulk of revenue -- and in many cases profits -- are generated during the fiscal year. For J.C. Penney, it was much closer to break-even this year than last year.
A small sign of hope? Yes, but nothing to get overly excited about. Turn a profit, not one that is subsidized via a tax benefit, and then perhaps we can start talking about J.C. Penney's turnaround.
It shows things are "less bad" for the retailer, but that's not good enough at this point.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV