National survey results reveal Chinese sweet and sour chicken and Italian pizza are favourites out of a list of international dishes
MISSISSAUGA, ON, Feb. 27, 2014 /CNW/ - Canada is a land of food lovers, but what we love to eat is as distinct as the country itself. From Chinese sweet and sour chicken to Italian pizza and Indian curry, we've got an endless list of favourite foods, secret family recipes and standing take-out orders. It is exactly these kinds of flavour-packed dishes and food rituals that the Lay's brand is inviting Canadians to use as their muse for creating the next great potato chip flavour idea.
Back by popular demand, Lay's - Canada's favourite potato chip brand - today announced the return of its Do Us a Flavour contest, which invites fans across the country to submit their flavour ideas to be the next great potato chip flavour.
From now until April 23, consumers can submit their flavour ideas at www.Lays.ca/Flavour for a chance to win $50,000 CDN plus one per cent of their flavour's future sales (after the voting period). Building on the success of last year's program, the 2014 edition of the Lay's Do Us a Flavour contest features a new twist - Canadians will now be able to choose from three potato chip styles for their flavour ideas: Lay's Original, Lay's Kettle Cooked and/or Lay's WavyFollowing its 2013 Canadian debut, the Lay's Do Us a Flavour contest quickly became a blockbuster success with more than 600,000 flavour entries from Canadians across the country. As a nation with an incredible mix of cultures and backgrounds, it's not surprising that ethnic dishes including jerk chicken, curry, butter chicken and wasabi each received thousands of submissions. "Food and flavour are a natural passion point for so many Canadians." says Susan Irving, Director of Marketing, PepsiCo Foods Canada. "From family-favourite recipes to ethnic take-out staples, we are inviting fans across the country to draw on these beloved dishes to find inspiration and submit a flavour idea." A national survey commissioned by the Lay's brand and hosted on the Angus Reid Forum, confirms a number of interesting flavour insights including:
- At least 1 in 5 (21 per cent) Canadians has had an idea for a potato chip flavour of their own, and of those, 52 per cent say their inspiration was their favourite food.
- 46 per cent of Canadians reported they can think of a favourite food or dish that they or their family eat, that would make a tasty chip.
- Of a list of favourite international dishes, respondents reported that Italian pizza (21 per cent), Chinese sweet and sour chicken (17 per cent), Mexican guacamole (15 per cent) and Indian chicken curry (11 per cent) were most likely to taste great as a potato chip.
- Of the listed take-out foods from other countries, half (50 per cent) of all Canadians surveyed said they order Chinese food most often and one-quarter (26 per cent) say they most often order Italian.
- Mastana Mango ( India)
- Walkie Talkie Chicken ( South Africa)
- Caesar Salad and Late Night Kabob ( Australia)
- Chilli & Chocolate and Cajun Squirrel (UK)
- Cheesy Garlic Bread (U.S.)
- Sharing flavour submissions on social media channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Tumblr and Instagram (mobile)
- Engaging with the site's "Flavour Showdown" - a fun way to see flavours that have been submitted by fans coast to coast and announcing which ones they'd like to eat
- Declaring their favourite flavours by clicking the "I'd Eat That!" button
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV