Covidien plc (NYSE: COV), a leading global provider of healthcare products and recognized innovator in patient monitoring and respiratory care devices, today announced its Puritan Bennett™ 980 ventilator has received U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 510(k) clearance.
Puritan Bennett(TM) 980 ventilator (Photo: Business Wire)
The new acute care ventilator from Covidien—designed to be simple, safe and smart—helps enable patients to breathe more naturally † through some of the most innovative breath technology available.
The most critical goal of clinicians is to get patients off mechanical ventilation as soon as possible. The Puritan Bennett 980 ventilator can help with a range of software capabilities, including Proportional Assist™* Ventilation Plus (PAV™*+) and Leak Sync software. Proportional Assist™* Ventilation Plus (PAV™*+) has been shown to help reduce asynchrony, 1-3 which studies have shown may reduce days on mechanical ventilation. 4-6
“We believe mechanical ventilation should be natural enough to enable patients to breathe on their own more quickly,” said James E. Willett, vice president and general manager, Respiratory Solutions, Covidien. “The Puritan Bennett 980 ventilator provides clinicians with a simple, safe and smart way to care for patients.”Patients on mechanical ventilation are often sedated to ease agitation and help them tolerate breath support and other medical interventions. 7 The Puritan Bennett 980 ventilator features advanced synchrony tools that help clinicians set the ventilator to adapt to their patients’ unique needs and help provide the appropriate level of support throughout the breath. The Puritan Bennett 980 ventilator system is for patients ranging from neonatal to adult. The ventilator system was also approved for commercial distribution in Japan and Canada and will be available in those countries and the U.S. in the coming months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV