Materion Corporation (NYSE:MTRN) today reported fourth quarter and full-year 2013 results.
- The Company today filed a current report on Form 8-K identifying a procedural error in the recording of the results of the Company’s second and third quarter 2013 physical inventory counts. Results for the quarterly and year-to-date periods ending June 28, 2013 and September 27, 2013 will be restated
- Fourth quarter 2013 GAAP earnings were $0.18 per share, stronger than the Company’s previously provided guidance of $0.05 to $0.10 per share
- Excluding the previously announced costs related to facility and product line rationalizations, fourth quarter adjusted earnings were $0.34 per share, also stronger than the Company’s previously provided guidance of $0.20 to $0.25 per share and sequentially stronger than third quarter 2013 earnings by $0.10 per share
- Earnings for the full-year 2014 are expected to be well above those for the full-year 2013 and in the range of $1.75 to $1.95 per share, consistent with previous guidance
CURRENT REPORT ON FORM 8-K
During the year-end review and evaluation of the Company’s regular fourth quarter physical inventory results, a procedural error was identified related to the utilization of a new report from the Company’s enterprise-wide software system. This error first occurred in the recording of the results of the Company’s second quarter 2013 physical inventory count and had gone undetected by the Company’s review processes since then. As a result, operating results of the Company’s Buffalo, New York-based precious metal facility appeared to be within normal tolerance ranges and expectations while they were not.
At this time, the Company believes that the error understated the Company’s book-to-physical adjustment and therefore understated cost of sales for the three months ended June 28, 2013 and for the three months ended September 27, 2013. As a result, second quarter net income was overstated by approximately $4.8 million, or $0.23 per share. Third quarter net income was overstated by approximately $0.1 million, which did not affect reported EPS. A table attached to this press release summarizes the restated quarterly and year-to-date financial information, which is subject to change pending the finalization of the audit.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts