NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- DR Horton (DHI - Get Report) was rising 2.63% to $24.77 at 3:12 p.m. on Wednesday after the U.S. government announced that sales of newly-built single family homes rose more than expected in January. DR Horton, the largest new home builder in the U.S., climbed as a result.
Sales rose to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 468,000, which marked a pace 9.6% greater than the revised rate for December and 2.2% greater than Jan. 2013. Analysts had expected a drop to 400,000. An estimated 184,000 new homes were for sale at the end of January, which at the current sales pace accounts for a 4.7-month supply, a slight decrease from the five-month supply at the end of December. The median sales price of new homes sold in January dipped to $260,100 from $270,200 one month earlier.
The Midwest was the only region in the U.S. that did not have a sales increase, as winter storms heavily affected the area.
- DHI's revenue growth has slightly outpaced the industry average of 28.7%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 31.0%. Growth in the company's revenue appears to have helped boost the earnings per share.
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Household Durables industry. The net income increased by 85.8% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $66.30 million to $123.20 million.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly increased by 98.85% to -$7.50 million when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, D R HORTON INC has also vastly surpassed the industry average cash flow growth rate of 8.63%.
- Compared to where it was 12 months ago, the stock is up, but it has so far lagged the appreciation in the S&P 500. Turning our attention to the future direction of the stock, it goes without saying that even the best stocks can fall in an overall down market. However, in any other environment, this stock still has good upside potential despite the fact that it has already risen in the past year.
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: DHI Ratings Report
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts