MARYSVILLE, Ohio, Feb. 26, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company (NYSE: SMG), the world's leading marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products, today announced an enhanced commitment to supporting, recruiting and hiring those who have served in the United States Armed Forces and who currently serve in the National Guard and Reserve.
At a ceremony in the company's world headquarters in Marysville, Ohio, ScottsMiracle-Gro Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Jim Hagedorn, Executive Vice President of Human Resources Denise Stump and other company leaders joined retired Maj. Gen. Paul Mock to sign a Statement of Support to formalize a partnership with Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR).
ScottsMiracle-Gro Chairman and CEO Jim Hagedorn, a former F-16 fighter pilot, said: "We've been hiring and supporting U.S. veterans and reservists for years. In fact, Scotts was founded nearly 150 years ago by O.M. Scott, who was a Civil War veteran. Our enhanced commitment today not only affirms our support for our current associates who serve, but also reflects our overall desire to recruit and hire those who serve or have served this country."
"As a human resource leader, I can say without a doubt that companies who hire those who currently serve, or have served, are getting top-notch talent," said Denise Stump. "Surveys consistently show they demonstrate strength in key areas like responsibility, work under pressure, completing tasks, leadership problem solving and adapting to change. All of these attributes are business-critical in today's world, and we believe they can help give us an advantage in very competitive markets."The Statement of Support joins ScottsMiracle-Gro with other employers in pledging:
- We fully recognize, honor and enforce the Uniformed Services Employment and Re-Employment Rights Act (USERRA).
- Our managers and supervisors will have the tools they need to effectively manage those employees who serve in the Guard and Reserve.
- We appreciate the values, leadership and unique skills service members bring to the workforce and will encourage opportunities to hire Guardsmen, Reservists and Veterans.
- We will continually recognize and support our country's service members and their families in peace, in crises and in war.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV