Why the Next Few Weeks Is Your Best Time to Buy a Car
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Troublesome signs ahead for the auto market could translate into a big opportunity for buyers. But they're going to have to act in the next six weeks or so.
Data from Auto Week show that "supplies of unsold vehicles have ballooned to the highest level since the recession, and U.S. sales growth has slowed significantly in the past five months."
The publication call that an "ominous sign" that should, however, work out great on visits to dealer lots, where "bigger discounts" should be available.
It's not just Auto Week touting opportunities for new car shoppers. Scott Painter, founder and chief executive at TrueCar, says the coming days are going to be an epic time to get a deal on a new car, thanks to to a combination of auto-buying trends and extreme winter weather."According to TrueCar data, the average transaction price of a car in February is just under $30,000 -- making it the second-best month of the year to buy a car," Painter says. (The best is August.) "Extreme weather conditions have caused dealer inventories to rise to their highest levels since 2009. With incentives on the rise, if you're willing to brave the elements, the next 30 to 45 days will be an epic time to buy." Auto dealers are finding that their inventories are at their highest levels since 2009, with cars spending more than 60 days on the lot, Painter says. Thanks to higher inventory, incentives are expected to increase throughout February and March.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV