Shares added 6.5% to $51.23 by early afternoon.
Lowe's, the second-largest U.S. home improvement retailer after Home Depot (HD), reported a 5.6% gain in quarterly sales to $11.66 billion and an 11.5% increase in net income to 29 cents a share.
Comparable-store sales jumped 3.9% over the three months to December."When extreme winter weather arrived late in the quarter, our distribution network responded quickly and efficiently to move product where it was most needed," said CEO Robert Niblock in a statement. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had forecast net income of 31 cents a share on $11.67 billion in revenue. The Moorseville, N.C.-based business said it expects revenue to increase 5% over the fiscal year, assuming total sales of around $56.07 billion. Per-share earnings are expected at around $2.60, four cents higher than analyst consensus. The board also authorized the repurchase of an additional $5 billion in common stock. The remaining $1.3 billion balance will continue to be utilized. Also See: Home Depot Reports Better-Than-Expected Q4 STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates LOWE'S COMPANIES INC as a Buy with a ratings score of A-. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate LOWE'S COMPANIES INC (LOW) a BUY. This is based on the convergence of positive investment measures, which should help this stock outperform the majority of stocks that we rate. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its revenue growth, impressive record of earnings per share growth, increase in net income, notable return on equity and increase in stock price during the past year. We feel these strengths outweigh the fact that the company shows weak operating cash flow."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: LOW Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV