The book store chain posted earnings of 86 cents a share, beating the Capital IQ Consensus Estimate of 60 cents. Revenue rose 10.3% from the year-ago period to $2 billion, compared to estimates of $2.01 billion.
Revenue for the company's Retail segment decreased 6.3% from the year-ago period to $1.4 billion in the quarter. The decrease is partly due to a comparable store sales decline of 4.9% in the quarter, store closures, and low online sales.
The College segment's revenue decreased 6% to $486 million in the quarter, and comparable College store sales decreased 4%.Looking forward to the full fiscal year Barnes & Noble expects Retail comparable store sales to decline in the high single digits and College comparable store to decline by low single digits. Must read: Don't Read Into Barnes & Noble's New Deal STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. BKS data by YCharts STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV