By noon, shares had added 6.4% to $27.30.
In the three months to December, the oil and gas producer recorded adjusted net income of $66 million, or 48 cents a share. Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters had anticipated earnings of 47 cents a share.
Revenue of $498 million was 23% lower than a year earlier and missed expectations by $86.4 million. Total sales excluded income of $232 million from discontinued operations including the sale of Newfield's Malaysian business and the ongoing divestment of its China business.Also See: QEP Resources Plummets After Earnings Report STOCKS TO BUY: TheStreet Quant Ratings has identified a handful of stocks that can potentially TRIPLE in the next 12 months. Learn more. TheStreet Ratings team rates NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO as a Sell with a ratings score of D+. The team has this to say about their recommendation: "We rate NEWFIELD EXPLORATION CO (NFX) a SELL. This is driven by a few notable weaknesses, which we believe should have a greater impact than any strengths, and could make it more difficult for investors to achieve positive results compared to most of the stocks we cover. The company's weaknesses can be seen in multiple areas, such as its generally high debt management risk and disappointing return on equity."
- You can view the full analysis from the report here: NFX Ratings Report
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV